Lisbon has several big shopping centers, those kinds of places where you can find virtually all types of stores, usually franchises.
They are convenient and open 7 days a week but, if you like to feel the fresh air on your face, to stroll down the street and visit little shops that are one of a kind, there’s a Lisbon avenue that is perfect for you: Avenida de Roma.
Avenida de Roma is located in Alvalade, one of Lisbon’s neighbourhoods and its buildings are mostly from Estado Novo era (something like New State, Portugal’s dictatorial times).
It used to be one of the richest neighbourhoods to live in and some of the finest shops started to open their stores on Avenida de Roma.
Throughout the decades its population has changed. Nowadays the majority of its residents are senior people that have been living there for many years but the shops managed to keep up with modern times so you will find there a rare combination of modern shops and old times stores.
If you are looking for quality items this is also the place to look for them.
Avenida de Roma is about 2km long so there are dozens of shops to choose from, from clothes and accessories, to book stores, jewelry, shoes or flower shops.
There’s even a small shopping center, Centro Comercial Roma, with a bunch of cute stores.
However, if you are looking for street shops to buy the perfect gift or just a souvenir, here are some of our all time favorites:
- Arcádia: chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. But not just any chocolate, irresistable chocolate. This shop was originally born in the north of Portugal but a few years ago spread its empire to Lisbon as well. There are chocolate bars, bonbons, biscuits with chocolate… well you got the idea. They also happen to have the best macarons in town. Avenida de Roma 14D; Monday-Saturday 10:00-20:00
- Romeira: this flower shop was founded more than 50 years ago and still is one of the best in Lisbon. They have their own nurseries and some of the best supliers so it is possible to find a bit of every kind of flower or plant in their huge shop. They are open everyday and they also delievery everywhere in the world (you read it corrctely, everywhere!). Avenida de Roma, 50 C; Monday-Saturday 8:00-21:00; Sundays and Holidays 9:00-20:00
- Perfumaria Anita: the place to go for beauty advice or to buy that special perfume. This small perfume shop staff really knows what they are doing and they will be happy to advise you. An extra bonus is having the chance to see some of the neighbourhoods oldest female residents shopping for their beauty secrets. Avenida de Roma, n.º 46D; Monday-Saturday 9:30-19:00
- Frutalmeidas: an oldie but always goodie. Frutalmeidas is a mix of fruit shop and café. Meaning that you can buy your fruit to take home and also have a delicious and healthy snack in the same place. The decoration might be in need of a revamp but the quality hasn’t changed a bit over more than 40 years. Some of the best sellers include Pastéis de Massa Tenra (a sort of meat filled pastry) and the fresh juice fruits. Personally we don’t resist their fruit salad, toped with natural yogurt. Healthy and guilty free. Av. de Roma 45; Monday-Saturday 9:00-20:00
- Garrafeira Napoleão: this shop has been in the wine and spirits business since 1969. They have several shops, namely in Baixa, but this is probably the most quite one, away from all the downtown hustle. Besides selling all kinds of Porto wine, Madeira wine and some other wine and spirits produced in Portugal, they also have some exquisite foreign beverages as well as some gourmet products. Avenida de Roma, 8A; Monday-Saturday 9:30-20:00
Avenida de Roma
> Metro: Roma
> Insiders tip: we know shopping might be tiring, specially when you are walking up and down the street. Near Avenida de Roma you also have the perfect place to chill after a shopping spree: Teatro Maria Matos’ bar, or MM Café. Located inside Teatro Maria Matos, it serves cocktails and a few snacks, in a relaxed atmosphere and it even has a large balcony, ideal for warm summer nights. Av. Frei Miguel Contreiras 52; Tuesday-Friday 18:00-2:00, Saturday-Sunday 15:00-2:00