It’s Carnaval time! It’s time to dress in disguise and have some serious uncompromised fun.
If you are a Carnaval die hard fan you should head to Torres Vedras, just 50km away from Lisbon, and experience probably the oldest Carnaval of Portugal or, as the local use to say, the most Portuguese Carnaval in the country.
However, if you are not that into crowds of thousands of people in the streets partying hard, or if you just want to stick around and have some fun, Neighbourly Lisbon leaves you with our shortlist of places to celebrate Carnaval in Lisbon.
- Palácio Pimenta Ball: this 18th century palace located in Campo Grande opens its doors to host an elegant ball, inspired by the baroque era, and everyone is invited to get into the mood. If you want you can dress to the occasion but if you don’t have the time or imagination worry not, organizers will provide you with a mask at the entrance. Campo Grande, 245. February 27 from 19:00 until 1:30, €5. Event link.
- Renovar a Mouraria party: if fancy masquerade balls are not your cup of tea, you should go to Renovar a Mouraria, located in Mouraria. There will be an informal Carnaval party, with music and spirits. You don’t have to dress in disguise nevertheless there will take place the traditional costume contest, with prizes for the winning costume. Beco do Rosendo, 8, 10. February 27 from 18:00 until 2:00, free entrance. Event link.
- Carnaval at Sagrada Família: this bar owners invite all their costumers to leave the rational thinking behind for one night and to embrace the mundane pleasures. If you dare to accept their challenge, disguise yourself and go out dancing at Sagrada Família. Rua dos Remédios, 98. February 27 from 19:30 until 3:00, free entrance. Event link.
- Whores and sailors party at Roterdão: this party organizers are not ashamed of call it by its own name. It is a themed party and it pays a tribute to those that once where Cais do Sodré main residents: whores and sailors. It takes place at one of Cais do Sodré oldest bars, Roterdão Club, and it promises to make sure everyone has great fun. Rua Nova do Carvalho, 28-30, Cais do Sodré. February 27 from 23:00 until 4:00. Minimum consumption. Event link.
- Carnaval Party at Comuna: Comuna is better know as a theater place, located in Praça de Espanha. However, everyone that has ever attended a party at Comuna knows the parties taking place there are epic. Carnaval time is just another excuse to have another epic party at Comuna so we are sure it will be a great one. Praça de Espanha. February 27 from 23:00 until 4:00. Entrance 10€ (includes a spirit drink or 2 beers). Event link.